What is Veganism?
A vegan is someone who does not eat or use animal products. Unlike a vegetarian diet - where people don't eat meat or fish - a vegan diet avoids all animal products like dairy, eggs, honey, meat and fish. You also won't see a vegan wearing leather or using soaps made from animal parts.
Should You Become Vegan?
If you answered "Yes" to any of the above questions, veganism might be for you.
Need more convincing? Here are 6 ways that veganism can improve your life:
1. Vegans Get More Servings of Fruits and Vegetables than Most! The Vegan diet is rich in fruits and vegetables, which contain many nutrients. These nutrients are essential for your body and will allow it to work at its best.
2. Vegans are at Less Risk for Heart Disease! Animal products are high in fats, which can clog arteries and increase your cholesterol levels. Avoiding animal products can lower your cholesterol and protect your heart.
3. Veganism can Help you Lose Weight! The vegan diet involves eating lots of foods high in fibre. Fibre helps to keep you fuller longer, preventing mindless eating.
4. Veganism can Help you Manage Diabetes! The vegan diet is rich in whole foods and plant foods with a low glycemic index that can help keep your blood sugar under control.
5. Vegan diets can Protect Against Cancer! Farmed animals typically receive hormones. These high levels of hormones transfer onto animal products. Consumption of animal products with high levels of hormones may increase your risk of certain cancers.
6. Vegans are Improving the World! Production of animal products typically involves harming animals and produces plenty of pollution. Veganism promotes the welfare of animals and the environment.
How do You Become Vegan?
A vegan diet excludes animals and their byproducts.
What not to eat:
Sneaky items to watch out for:
What to Eat:
Can Vegans Eat "May Contain" Products?
Sometimes a food product doesn't have the non-vegan ingredient but is labelled as "may contain..." or "may contain traces of..."
This means that the product is produced in a shared facility where other non-vegan products are also produced, so there may be cross-contamination. Therefore, it is up to an individual's discretion as to whether they chose to consume the product.
Do Vegans Need Supplements?
Yes! Although it is possible to get most of the nutrients you need from a carefully planned vegan diet, you will need to supplement with vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 is only available in animal products, and it is essential for your body.
Product Recommendations & Meal Ideas:
Create a delicious vegan mac ‘n’ cheese sauce using Bob’s Red Mill Nutritional Yeast. Non-vegan’s can’t even tell the difference!
Upgrade your peanut butter and jelly sandwich with Healthy Crunch Paleo Chia Jam!
Impress your friends with delicious chocolate-coconut cookies made with CocoaX Organic Unsweetened Cocoa Toasted Coconut.
Catch your next film with Papa's Pops Skinless Sweet & Salty Popcorn!