Traditional pho broth typically takes several hours of simmering time to develop it’s rich, distinct flavour. By using Kettle & Fire Bone Broth, and adding fragrant spices and aromatics - you can have a rich tasting, pho-inspired soup at home in a fraction of the time! A faux-pho if you will. Pairing with kelp noodles instead of rice noodles makes this an easy keto option for low carb lovers!
3 Net Carbs per serving
Makes 2 large servings
For the Soup:
- 2-480ml containers Kettle & Fire Beef Bone Broth (any flavour works great)
- 2 inch chunk fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- salt to taste
- 10-12 raw, peeled, deveined shrimp (see note)
- 1 package Kelp Noodles
- Fresh Thai Basil
- Bean Sprouts
- Thai Red Chili (optional)
- Lime Wedges
1. In a medium-size pot over medium heat, add the bone broth, ginger, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, and cardamom pods. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes. This will allow for the aromatics to infuse the broth with wonderful pho flavour.
2. Using a slotted spoon or small fine mesh strainer, remove the ginger and aromatic spices from the broth and discard. Add the fish sauce and season with salt to taste. Add the shrimp. Allow the shrimp to simmer in the broth for 2-3 minutes until pink in colour and cooked through.
3. Place the kelp noodles in a strainer and rinse well with cold water. Separate the noodles between two large bowls and then ladle the broth on top with the shrimp. Garnish with Thai basil, bean sprouts, red thai chili for heat, and fresh lime wedges to serve.
Note: Thinly sliced grass fed beef, and grilled chicken are also great options for protein.