Gluten-free Easter baking just got photo-worthy with this spiced apple rose pie, made from delicious honey crisp apples - you’ll be sure to impress everyone with presentation and taste this Easter with this fragrant Easter pie!
Gluten-Free, Dairy Free
Makes 8 Servings (1 Pie)
2 Honeycrisp Apples
1 Egg yolk
1 ½ Tsp Lemon Juice
½ Cup Swerve Brown Sugar Replacement
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
¼ Cup Sweetleaf Organic Better Than Sugar! Granular Sugar Sweetener
2 Tbsp Sweetleaf Organic Better Than Sugar! Powdered Sugar Sweetener
¼ Tsp Kosher Salt
¼ Tsp Nutmeg
1 Bag Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Pie Crust Mix
22 Tbsp Nutiva Organic Vegan Shortening
6-8 Tbsp Ice Water
For the crust
- Combine Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Pie Crust with 20 tablespoons of vegan shortening in a food processor. Pulse 10 times, 1 second per pulse. Add 6 tbsp of ice water until the dough comes together. Add 2 more tablespoons of ice water if needed.
- Divide the dough in half and flatten into disks. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1hr.
- After 1hr remove the dough from the fridge and preheat the oven to 400℉.
- Roll the dough into a 12-inch circle between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Remove the dough top layer of plastic wrap, invert the dough, and press into a 9-inch pie pan. Remove the top layer of plastic wrap. Trim and flute the edges
For the Filling
- Peel and core the apples, then cut the apples in half.
- Using a Mandolin slicer or a sharp knife, slice the apples into ⅛-inch thick slices.
- Place the apple slices in a large bowl and toss with the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and lemon juice. Allow the apples to soak for 30 mins.
- Strain the juice from the apple mixture into a cup. Add the juice and 2 tablespoons of vegan shortening to a small saucepan. Allow the mixture to simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes until the liquid has thickened and reduced by half.
Put it all together
- In a small bowl, beat one egg yolk with a fork. Brush this mixture over the pie crust.
- Starting at the outer edge, begin to place the apple slices horizontally, snuggly overlapping each slice. Continue until you reach the centre. Fill any gaps with any remaining apple slices.
- Pour ½ of the reserved liquid over the apple slices in the pie.
- Cover the pie with foil with vents to allow for steaming. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Remove the pie from the oven. Remove the foil and add the remaining reserved liquid. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the pie is golden brown.
- Allow the pie to cool completely. Sprinkle with Sweetleaf Powdered sugar sweetener.