1 Pound Skinless boneless chicken breast or thighs, cut into 2 inch chunks
1 Teaspoon Ground cumin
1 Teaspoon Chili powder
1 Teaspoon Oregano
½ Teaspoon Salt
½ Small Onion, minced
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Cup Tomato puree
1 Cup Chicken broth
1-2 Tablespoons Siete Habanero Hot Sauce (see note)
1 Lime, juiced
1. Evenly coat the chicken with the spices and season with salt.
2. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and add the onion and garlic. sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until softened and fragrant. Add the tomato puree, chicken broth, and hot sauce.
3. Cover and bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until tender and easily shredded.
4. Remove the chicken from the skillet and shred. Turn the heat to medium and allow the sauce to reduce by half. Add back the shredded chicken and simmer for 7-10 minutes longer - or until sauce has completely reduced and thickened. Add the lime juice and more Habanero hot sauce if more spice is desired.
5. Preheat the oven to 400℉. Place the taco shells on a baking sheet and bake for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oven, fill with shredded chicken and your favourite toppings. Lettuce, tomato, avocado, cilantro, and cheddar cheese are classic favourites!
Note: Hot sauce is quite spicy. Add 1 tablespoon, taste, and adjust to your own personal level of spice preference.