As Valentine's Day approaches, it's time to turn up the heat and the romance in the kitchen. Vegan and gluten-free, these rich and decadent red velvet cupcakes are love at first bite! Are you ready to get 'whisked' away?
High Protein, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Plant-Based
For The Cupcakes
2 cups Cuisine Soleil Organic Protein-Rich Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder Unsweetened
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
½ teaspoon Salt
1 cup Vegan Buttermilk (240ml) 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice + Soy Milk up to the 1 cup (240ml) line
½ cup Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil
1 Tablespoon Distilled White Vinegar
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Red Gel Food Color
For The Vegan Frosting:
4 cups Powdered Sugar
½ cup Vegan Butter
2 teaspoons Lemon Extract
2-3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line your cupcake tin with liners, and using tin foil, make a heart shape by rolling foil like a short stick and place one on the top of the liner, and two on either end of the bottom.
- Mix flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix together.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 1 cup (240ml) line. Let it curdle into buttermilk.
- Add the vegan buttermilk, oil, vinegar, vanilla extract and red gel food color and mix it into a batter. Don't overmix.
- Divide the batter between the cupcakes
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for a few minutes and then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- While the cakes are cooling, add the powdered sugar, vegan butter, lemon extract and 2 tablespoons lemon juice to the bowl of your stand mixer and starting at slow speed gradually increase speed until the frosting is thick and smooth. If needed add more lemon juice.
- When the cakes are completely cooled, frost and decorate!