The tangy richness of sour cream meets the savoury kick of onions, all nestled in a biscuit that's so soft and flaky--we've taken the classic flavour duo and turned it into plant-powered perfection!
Vegan, Gluten-Free, Plant-Based
Makes 6 Large Biscuits
2 cups Gluten-Free Flour Mix, plus more for dusting
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
8 tbsp vegan butter, chilled (1 stick)
8 scallions/green onions, chopped (roughly 1 cup)
1 cup Elmhurst Dairy-Free Vegan Sour Cream Substitute
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees farenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the gluten free flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Cut the very cold vegan butter into 1/2 inch cubes. Add to the flour and, using your fingers, flatten the butter into the flour. You want to have some nice flat and pea-size pieces of butter. Gently toss in the chopped scallions.
- Make a well in the centre and add the sour cream. In a circular motion, combine the sour cream with the flour using a fork. Mix until you get large clumps, do not form the dough into a ball.
- When almost combined, dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead it once or twice until it comes together. There will be loose pieces, that's okay. Bring those pieces to the top of the dough.
- Gently shape the dough into a 10 x 4 inch rectangle. Using a bench scrapped, fold the dough as though you were folding a letter: fold 1/3 of the dough to the centre and then the other 1/3 on top of the first fold.
- Turn the dough 90 degrees. Gently shape the dough into 10 x 4 inch rectangle and repeat the folding step. If your dough has not come together by the second fold, you can do a third fold.
- After your final fold (either your 2nd or 3rd), shape the dough into a 8 x 4 inch rectangle. Cut the dough into 6 squares or use a large cookie cutter and gently place them on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Gently brush the tops of the biscuits with melted vegan butter (optional, but recommended) and place in the oven. Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until golden brown.